Funding Guide


For information on our course fees please see the Fees-and-funding-booklet.

You should apply for your funding before you start your course. Your application can only be processed once you have submitted the correct supporting documentation. At busy times ( eg July - September) it can take up to 4 weeks to process the application.

Funds are limited and are based on a ‘first come, first served’ basis. This applies to Bursary, Discretionary, Childcare and Travel.

If you have not been able to complete your funding application before the start of your course, you must ensure you do so within six weeks of the start date to ensure that your payments are backdated to the start.  Otherwise your payments will only be backdated to the date you provided the final correct evidence needed to process your application. You can track the progress of your application on the Student Hub.

Education Maintenance Allowance or EMA

If you are under 18 you may be eligible for EMA. You must be 16 years of age on 30 September 2019 to be eligible to apply for funding.  If you turn 16 between 1 October 2019 and 28 February 2020 then you can apply for funding from January 2020.

Students cannot receive travel funding until they have met the age criteria above.  If you are a Christmas Leaver from School then travel can sometimes be paid by the Local Authority through your school.  Students who are not eligible for EMA maintenance payments due to the level of household income may still be eligible for travel assistance.

See more information about EMA.

Bursaries - Further Education full time courses

If you are 18 years of age or over on the official start day of your course, and will be studying a full-time further education course, you may be eligible for Bursary funding.  The Bursary, including travel, is means tested and any award will depend on your household income.

Our bursary fund is finite and is allocated on a ‘first come, first served’ basis so it’s important to make your application for bursary as soon as you’ve accepted our offer of a place.

Discretionary funds

Discretionary Fund (sometimes known as Hardship Fund) is available to both Further Education and Higher Education students.  If you are finding it difficult to make ends meet, you may be eligible for help from these funds.  These funds are usually paid to students on a monthly basis.  We can also make one-off payments.

Childcare funds

Childcare funds are also available to students studying at Further Education level or Higher Education level who require assistance with childcare costs.  Please note that only registered childcare providers can be used.

See more information about Bursaries and other funds.

Student Loans - Higher Education full time courses

Funding applications for students studying at Higher Education level (HNC and above) should be made at

See more information about HE funding and tuition fees.

Please contact for further information.