Wood Occupations & PDA Carpentry & Joinery SVQ3
What is special about this course?
The SVQ 3 Wood Occupations/PDA level 6 Carpentry and Joinery programme is delivered at UHI Argyll's dedicated Construction, Engineering and Renewables Centre (CERC) in Lochgilphead, providing apprentice joiners with specific trade training specified by CITB, the Construction Industry Training Board.
Entry is arranged through CITB and candidates must have employment with a construction firm who will sponsor their apprenticeship training.
Candidates will learn a wide range of caprentry and joinery techniques and construction practices including:
- First Fixing
- Second Fixing
- Transportable Cutting and Shaping Machines
- Structural Carcassing
- Non-Structural and Structural Components
- Internal and External Sand and Cement Backgrounds
- Setting Out
- Setting Up and Using Fixed or Transportable Machinery
- Productive Working Practices
- Woodworking Power Tool Skills
- Domestic Fitments
- Domestic Straight Flight Stairs
- Door Construction
- Ground and Upper Floor Construction
- Panelling and Installation
- Roof Construction
- Repairs and Maintenance
- Timber Frame Construction and Internal Partitioning Systems
- Woodworking Machine Skills
- Workshop Practice and Hand Skills
- Good Working Relationships
- Workplace Health, Safety and Welfare
- Moving, Handling or Storing Resources
- Appreciation of Access Platforms and Equipment
- Employment Skills
- NC Information Technology
Personal Protective Equipment is arranged on an individual basis.
How will I study my course?
- Block release
The college element of the programme is fully taught on a block release basis at the Construction, Engineering and Renewables Centre in Lochgilphead.
How long will my course last?4 Academic Year
Block Release over 2 years then one week in each of years 3 and 4 of Modern Apprenticeship.
Where can I study my course?
- UHI Argyll
- Construction, Engineering and Renewables Centre
Please contact your local centre for more details on the course start date.
For the latest information on fees please see our fees policy.
What can I do on completion of my course?
Candidates successfully completing the PDA level 6 Carpentry and Joinery may undertake the PDA level 7 (Advanced Craft) in the third or fourth year of their Modern Apprenticeship.
Is there more information available online?
You can use the above QR code to connect directly to the course details.
Apply for Wood Occupations & PDA Carpentry & Joinery SVQ3
To enrol, or for further information on this course, please contact your local UHI Argyll Centre
We are delighted that you are thinking about studying at UHI Argyll. UHI Argyll operates a fair and open admissions system committed to equality of opportunity and non-discrimination. We consider all applications on merit and on the basis of ability to achieve, without discrimination on grounds of age, disability, gender identity, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity status, race, religion and/or belief, sex, sexual orientation or socio-economic background. We welcome applications from all prospective students and aim to provide appropriate and efficient services to students with disabilities.