Here to help
As your training provider Argyll College UHI is here to support both students and employers embarking on apprenticeships.
You can get in touch with our specialist Apprentice adviser Dawn Miller by email on email@example.com or phone us on 0345 2309969, and we’ll be happy to chat with you.
Find out more
In S5 or S6, you can do a Foundation Apprenticeship as one of your senior subject choices. You'll get the chance to study through your local college and learn in a real workplace where you can develop the new skills future employers need, giving you a competitive edge while you're still at school.
Foundation Apprenticeships combine the best of academic and vocational learning in one single qualification, they provide a range of benefits that employers are looking for and opens up your options after you leave school.
They normal start in S5 and take two years to complete. Some programmes may also be completed in one year if your school timetable allows, depending on the subject and your circumstances.
Want to get more details on Foundation Apprenticeships? Get the nitty-gritty right here.
Want to find out what Foundation Apprenticeships your school offers? Visit our Schools page here.
With a Modern Apprenticeship, you learn on the job and get the experience you need. Plus, you work towards a qualification.
Across Scotland over 25,000 thousand people every year are taking the opportunity to get the skills and experience that count while earning at the same time. If you are aged between 16 and 24 you could:
- Get the experience employers are looking for – from skills for work, to handy things like timekeeping, taking responsibility and teamwork.
- Discover a real alternative to full-time college or university, and by learning on the job, you get to put your skills to the test right away.
- Get the best possible training: MAs are designed with employers and industry in mind.
- Get a qualification accredited by the Scottish Qualifications Authority. You can see how MAs compare to other qualifications on the Scottish Credit and Qualifications Framework.
- Did we mention you get paid?
Skills Development Scotland (SDS) can help advertise your Modern Apprenticeship vacancy for free on Apprenticeships.scot. It’s quick, easy to do and SDS will post it on their vacancy pages, and publish it on carefully selected partner websites like Adzuna and My World of Work.
There is a range of information for employers available online at the Apprenticeships.scot website.