What is special about this course?
The SVQ 3 Hairdressing follows on from the SVQ 2, introducing more advanced cutting and colouring to the students. Students will be able to undertake client consultations with less supervision and can work on the floor independently
You may choose to study this course full time, or if in exmployment by work-based learning and attend college for the theory parts of the course.
You must previously have achieved SVQ 2 Hairdressing at SCQF level 5
Please be aware that we are no longer accepting applications for places in Dunoon as the course is now full in that location.
The course consists of 4 mandatory units:
- Creatively Style and Dress Hair
- Creatively Cut Hair using a Combination of Techniques
- Creatively Colour and Lighten Hair
- Provide Client Consultation Services
You will also undertake 3 optional units from the following list:
- Provide a Variety of Relaxing Services
- Hair Colour Correction Services
- Provide Creative Hair Extension Services
- Create a Variety of Permed Effects
- Develop, Enhance and Evaluate your Creative Hairdressing Skills
- Provide Specialist Hair and Scalp Treatments
- Contribute to the Planning, Implementation and Evaluation of Promotional Activities
- Contribute to the Financial Effectiveness of the Business
How will I study my course?
- Full Time
- Part Time
Students will gain experience and be assessed in the work place/realistic work environment. Students will be assessed by a mix of project and mandatory question papers in college and observation in the work place.
Attendance at college is mandatory to undertake the underpinning knowledge for the qualification. All full-time students must regularly bring clients into the salon, on which to practice styling techniques,
All students will be in college 3 days a week, as well as undergoing placement for one day a week in a local salon - this can be a salon with which you have a prior link, or the college will identify a suitable employer for you.
How long will my course last?
The full-time course runs over one year from September to June. The course may also be completed part-time over 2 years if in employment.
Where can I study my course?
- Dunoon Learning Centre
- Oban Learning Centre
- Rothesay Learning Centre
Please contact your local centre for more information on start date.
For the latest information on fees please see our fees policy.
What can I do on completion of my course?
HNC Hair and Beauty programmes can be undertaken at other colleges.
Is there more information available online?
You can use the above QR code to connect directly to the course details.