What is special about this course?
Gain an industry recognised qualification in fish farming while carrying out your normal work activities. Aimed at newer fish farm workers, this SQV2 covers a wide range of topics from initial stocking of fish through husbandry to harvesting. This will normally take about 12 months of study and on-site training to complete.
You will have to demonstrate that you are able to undertake a variety of tasks to the required standard as part of your work.
On successful completion of the programme you will receive a Lantra Modern Apprenticeship at SCQF Level 5, an SQA Scottish Vocational Qualification at Level 2 (equivalent to a National 5), plus additional short course certificates.
There are no prior qualifications required to undertake this qualification. However, prior achievement of an NPA Aquaculture qualification at SCQF 4 or similar, or previous experience/knowledge would be an advantage.
- be at least 16 years old.
- be employed in an appropriate position by an aquaculture company where they are carrying out relevant tasks and responsibilities which will enable them to collect the required evidence for the award, and have the support of their employer.
- be capable of completing the short courses required as part of the programme.
There are 4 mandatory units and 5 optional units in this award.:
- Preparing and gathering live fish/shellfish
- Monitoring the aquatic environment for production of farmed fish/shellfish
- Monitoring fish/shellfish health and welfare
- Working safely in an aquatic environment.
There are a wide range of optional units that are selected to best match the duties you undertake in your normal work. They may include:
- Prepare holding units to receive fish
- Feed fish
- Collect information on fish growth and development
- Prepare and operate small craft - RYA Powerboat 2
How will I study my course?
- Work based
How long will my course last?
This SVQ 2 will normally take about 12 months of study and on-site training to complete.
Where can I study my course?
- Argyll College UHI
- Work Based
- Employers Premises
Flexible start dates throughout the year.
For the latest information on fees please see our fees policy.
What can I do on completion of my course?
The SVQ Level 2 could provide progression to further qualifications in fish farming through the SVQ 3 Aquaculture or other higher level studies in Aquaculture, Marine Science or other degree level studies through UHI and other higher education institutions.
Is there more information available online?
You can use the above QR code to connect directly to the course details.
Apply for Aquaculture SVQ2
We are delighted that you are thinking about studying at Argyll College UHI. Argyll College operates a fair and open admissions system committed to equality of opportunity and non-discrimination. We consider all applications on merit and on the basis of ability to achieve, without discrimination on grounds of age, disability, gender identity, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity status, race, religion and/or belief, sex, sexual orientation or socio-economic background. We welcome applications from all prospective students and aim to provide appropriate and efficient services to students with disabilities.