Beauty Care NC SCQF Level 6
What is special about this course?
The beauty industry is perfect for outgoing and creative individuals. Growing year on year, with a variety of new and exciting treatments, the industry has an ever-expanding clientele.
Ideal for those who have progressed from Level 5 NC Beauty Care and Make-Up, this course will build upon the foundation developed and focus on the practical skills required by local industry and clientele. It will include beauty and nail treatments, spa therapies and wellness therapies.
You will also develop your study skills with more independent research-based learning which will be advantageous if you wish to progress to HNC level.
- Level 5 NC Beauty Care and Make-Up
If you don't meet our entry requirements, your previous experience may still qualify you for this course. Mature students will be considered on merit. Please get in touch with us to discuss how suitable this course is for you.
- Body Massage - a practical and theory-based unit that will develop skills in consulting with clients to plan appropriate body massage treatments and evaluate the effectiveness of this treatment.
- Manicure and Pedicure – learn about the nails, skin, muscles and bones of the hands and feet. Consultation techniques and treatment plans, shaping of the nails, cuticle care, hand and foot massage, finishing techniques including French and coloured polish.
- Beauty Therapy: Depilation – learn about skin structure, hair types, hair growth cycle and contra-indications. Practical knowledge of hair removal products and techniques, effective treatment planning and evaluation.
- Beauty: Facial Techniques – learn about skin types and skin structure, muscles and bones of the face and functions of the skin. Consult with client to ascertain skin types and appropriate skin care products, development of cleanse, massage, tone and moisturise techniques.
- Beauty: Facial Treatment Packages – consult with client to ascertain skin type and develop a suitable facial package to include a cleanse, exfoliate, facial steam, hot mitts, setting and non-setting masks, paraffin wax masks, tone and moisturise.
- Beauty: Nail Finishes – develop your nail finishing skills including a French polish and a colour polish. Learn about the structure of the skin and nail, contra-indications and consultation techniques.
- Beauty: Creative Current Make-Up Trends – research current make-up trends and learn how to plan, develop and apply an original make-up look.
- Acrylic Nails – further development of knowledge of the nail structure, preparing for and applying acrylic nail structure and maintaining this structure through infills.
- Gel Nails - further development of knowledge of the nail structure, preparing for and applying gel nail structures and maintaining these structures through infills.
- Scalp, Neck and Shoulder Massage – develop a working knowledge of scalp, neck and shoulder massage techniques and their effects and benefits. Client consultation techniques and treatment planning, knowledge of the skin and hair structure, skin and hair functions, contra indications.
- Commercial Experience – research of local commercial experience opportunities, relevant health and safety legislation, interview techniques and application letter. Eight days of commercial experience will be completed out with the college salon to ensure a full understanding of the requirements of local industry including salons, spas, and wellness centres.
- Wellness Therapies: An Investigation – a research project into a variety of wellness and spa therapies available within industry. The background of each therapy and its effects, benefits, and appropriate uses. Students will also develop skills in self-evaluation and ICT skills.
You will be supplied with tunics, a beauty kit, and the required textbooks.
How will I study my course?
- Full Time
Your course will generally be a mix of scheduled connected learning time, and flexible learning time. You need to commit to both, but you can choose when to complete flexible learning to fit around work, caring and personal commitments.
This practical course will mainly be taught in-person in our fully equipped salon, although you may also be asked to join your lecturers and fellow classmates at a scheduled time in an online classroom for some theory sessions.
You will attend class for approximately 3 days per week. You will be required spend around 8 hours in flexible learning outside of class
How long will my course last?1 Academic Year
Where can I study my course?
- Oban Learning Centre
For the latest information on fees please see our fees policy.
Bursary for Living Costs
If you are 18 years of age or over on the start date of your course, and will be studying full-time you may be eligible for bursary funding, depending on your household income. Our bursary fund is finite and is allocated on a ‘first come, first served’ basis so it’s important to make your application for bursary as soon as the application process opens in July. You will need to have accepted our offer before you apply.
If you are under 18 you may be eligible for EMA. EMA is paid at a rate of £30 per week dependent on your total household income.
Please see page 2 of our Fees and Funding Guide for full details of Bursary and EMA.
You may also be eligible for assistance with travel and childcare, and we have discretionary funds for those students in need. You can find all the information you need in our funding pages.
What can I do on completion of my course?
When you’ve successfully completed this course, you can move on to study at a higher level with courses such as:
- HNC Beauty Care
Employment options in this sector could include:
- Junior therapist in a beauty salon
Is there more information available online?
You can use the above QR code to connect directly to the course details.
Apply for Beauty Care NC SCQF Level 6
We are no longer accepting applications for 2023/24
We are delighted that you are thinking about studying at UHI Argyll. UHI Argyll operates a fair and open admissions system committed to equality of opportunity and non-discrimination. We consider all applications on merit and on the basis of ability to achieve, without discrimination on grounds of age, disability, gender identity, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity status, race, religion and/or belief, sex, sexual orientation or socio-economic background. We welcome applications from all prospective students and aim to provide appropriate and efficient services to students with disabilities.