What is special about this course?
Learn the more advanced skills and knowledge required for a career in a professionsl kitchen. Achieve a recognised professional qualification for working in the catering industry equipping you to work as a chef.
Students will spend 2 days per week in the college, developing practical kitchen skills and underpinning knowledge and also additional 2 days per week working in a professional kitchen environment.
You should have achieved SVQ Level 2 in Professional Cookery. Alternatively if you are a chef with considerable proven experience you may be considered for this course.
All students will complete the following 12 mandatory units from the SQA course framework:
- Develop productive working relationships with colleagues
- Maintain the health, hygiene, safety and security of the working environment
- Maintain food safety when storing, preparing and cooking food
- Prepare fish for complex dishes
- Prepare meat for complex dishes
- Prepare poultry for complex dishes
- Cook and finish complex fish dishes
- Cook and finish complex meat dishes
- Cook and finish complex poultry dishes
- Cook and finish complex vegetable dishes
- Prepare, cook and finish complex hot sauces
- Prepare, cook and finish dressings and cold sauces
Students will also complete 4 optional units to be agreed with the course team.
How will I study my course?
- Full Time
In order to allow sufficient opportunities to practice and develop their skills, students will be expected to spend an additional 2 days per week working in a professional kitchen environment. This may be via a student's existing employment, otherwise a suitable work placement will be identified by the college. In either case, the 2 work placement days must be unpaid by the employer.
Contact the centre for more information on how you will be assessed on this course.
How long will my course last?
1 year ( 2 days in college 2 days at work per week)
Where can I study my course?
- Argyll College UHI
- Local Centres
Please contact your local centre for more information on start date.
For the latest information on fees please see our fees policy.
What can I do on completion of my course?
Contact the centre for this information.
Is there more information available online?
You can use the above QR code to connect directly to the course details.