What is special about this course?
Aimed at more experienced fish farm workers, this programme will allow you to gain an SVQ 3 qualification while working in the aquaculture industry. You will have to demonstrate your ability and competence in a broad range of work activities, showing considerable autonomy and may include supervising of others.
On successful completion of the programme you will receive a Lantra Modern Apprenticeship at SCQF Level 7, Scottish Vocational Qualification at Level 3 plus additional short course certificates.
There are no prior qualifications required to undertake this programme however candidates will normally have completed the Modern Apprenticeship in Aquaculture - level 5 before enrolling on this programme, or have suitable prior experience or previous relevant qualifications.
- be at least 16 years old.
- be employed in an appropriate position by an aquaculture company where they are carrying out relevant tasks and responsibilities which will enable them to collect the required evidence for the award, and have the support of their employer.
- be capable of completing the short courses required as part of the programme
There are 3 mandatory units and 3 optional units in this award. There are also 2 mandatory core skills, Working with Others (level 5) and Numeracy (level 5) which you must complete if you haven't previously achieved these.
- Control the aquatic production environment for farmed fish / shellfish
- Control the production of farmed fish / shellfish for sale or transfer
- Provide a safe, healthy and secure working environment
There are a wide range of optional units that are selected to best match the duties you undertake in your normal work. They may include:
- Control feeding regimes for fish
- Control the implementation of fish treatments
- Take personal emergency action on board a vessel (if you are marine site based)
Your assessor will assist you in choosing the correct optional units
How will I study my course?
- Work based
How long will my course last?
This SVQ 3 will normally take about 12 months of study and on-site training to complete.
Where can I study my course?
- UHI Argyll
- Work Based
- Employers Premises
Flexible start dates throughout the year.
For the latest information on fees please see our fees policy.
What can I do on completion of my course?
The SVQ Level 3 could provide progression to further qualifications in fish farming through the SVQ Aquaculture Management or other higher level studies in Aquaculture, Marine Science or other degree level studies through UHI and other higher education institutions.
Is there more information available online?
You can use the above QR code to connect directly to the course details.
Apply for Aquaculture SVQ3
We are delighted that you are thinking about studying at UHI Argyll. UHI Argyll operates a fair and open admissions system committed to equality of opportunity and non-discrimination. We consider all applications on merit and on the basis of ability to achieve, without discrimination on grounds of age, disability, gender identity, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity status, race, religion and/or belief, sex, sexual orientation or socio-economic background. We welcome applications from all prospective students and aim to provide appropriate and efficient services to students with disabilities.