What is special about this course?
This 1 day course forms part of the mandatory training required for those in the merchant navy and those looking to work afloat and provides essential education and training in personal survival techniques. Theory elements take place in the classroom and practical work is in the swimming pool.
The course covers :
- the main types of maritime emergencies
- the survival equipment used during a maritime emergency
- an understanding of the principles of survival during a maritime emergency
- How to abandon ship during a maritime emergency
- How to be able to survive in the water during a maritime emergency
- How to use a survival craft during a maritime emergency
There are no formal entry requirements but candidates must be at least 16 years of age.
This STCW Personal Survival techniques course covers the following topics:-
- Explain and identify the main types of emergencies which may occur in a shipboard context.
- Ingress of water.
- Survival equipment used during a maritime emergency.
- Identify the types of life-saving appliances
- Identify the location of personal life-saving equipment
- Identify the equipment in a survival craft.
- The principles of survival during a maritime emergency
- Explain the value of training and drills
- Explain the importance of personal protective clothing and equipment
- Explain the need to be ready for any maritime emergency.
- How to abandon ship during a maritime emergency.
- Identify the actions to be taken when called to survival craft stations
- Identify the actions to be taken when required to abandon ship
- Identify the actions to be taken when in the water
- Identify the actions to be taken when on board a survival craft
- Identify the main dangers to survivors
- How to be able to survive in the water during a maritime emergency.
- Correctly don a lifejacket
- Correctly don and use an immersion suit
- Jump from a height into the water
- Swim while wearing a life jacket
- Right an inverted life raft while wearing a life jacket
- Keep afloat without a life jacket.
- How to use a survival craft during a maritime emergency.
- Board a survival craft from a vessel when wearing a life jacket
- Board a survival craft from the water when wearing a life jacket
- Take initial actions on boarding a survival craft to enhance chance of survival
- Stream a drogue or sea anchor
- Operate survival craft equipment
- Operate location devices, including distress signals
- Operate portable radio equipment
How will I study my course?
- Part Time
- Short course
face to face delivery
How long will my course last?
Where can I study my course?
- Argyll College UHI
- Oban Learning Centre
This course truns at various times throughout the year. Please check Argyll College website for details or contact Oban Centre directly.
For the latest information on fees please see our fees policy.
What can I do on completion of my course?
This certificate is mandatory for many areas of work in the maritime sector and will improve your employment opportunities.
Is there more information available online?
You can use the above QR code to connect directly to the course details.