What is special about this course?
This STCW approved mandatory course is for anyone working as core crew aboard a merchant vessel and covers the basic induction training for safety awareness and accident prevention, and provides new seafarers with an insight into working conditions aboard a ship. This course is accredited by the Maritime Coastguard Agency (MCA).
Candidates must be aged 16 and above
During the course you will cover how to :-
- comply with emergency procedures on board a vessel.
- take precautions to prevent pollution of the marine environment.
- follow safe working practices.
- contribute to effective communications on board ship.
- contribute to effective human relationships on board ship.
- Understand the causes of fatigue and know the necessary actions to control fatigue.
How will I study my course?
- Part Time
- Short course
face to face delivery in the classroom with lectures videos and demonstrations
How long will my course last?
Where can I study my course?
- Argyll College UHI
- Helensburgh Learning Centre
- Oban Learning Centre
This course runs at various times throughout the year. For details please visit Argyll College website or contact the local College centre
For the latest information on fees please see our fees policy.
What can I do on completion of my course?
This certificate is mandatory for entry to the Merchant Navy and complies with the MCA Standatd Training and Certification of Watchkeeper Act amended 2010. (STCW),
This certificate will improve your employment options within the maritime industries.
Is there more information available online?
You can use the above QR code to connect directly to the course details.