What is special about this course?
There's so much you can do online these days, such as staying in touch with family and friends, finding bargains and things you need, and seeing what's on in your local area. Computers can also help out with your hobbies. You'll soon be writing letters, sending emails and much more.
This course caters for those with little experience of computers. You will improve your skills of using a computer, email and the Internet, and learn how to create basic documents.
You would benefit from having used a computer before so that you at least know how to use a mouse and keyboard and can get onto a website. You can achieve this by completing the Online Basics course.
With your fellow classmates you will learn about the following:
- Computer basics: parts of the computer, types of computer, start up, keyboard, mouse, shut down
- Introduction to the desktop: icons, taskbar, start button, windows, storing, applications, file types
- Introduction to documents: creating, naming, fonts, writing, cut/paste, saving, printing
- The worldwide web: information, security, connecting, navigating, downloading, searching, social networking
- Email: accounts, creating, sending, replying, forwarding, attachments
How will I study my course?
- Part Time
Classes will be based on group and individual work, including demonstrations by your tutor of how to use computers and the Internet, and practice exercises to develop your confidence.
How long will my course last?
You will participate in a weekly class, giving a total of 20 taught hours.
Where can I study my course?
- Argyll College UHI
- Local Centres
Please contact your local centre for details on course start dates.
For the latest information on fees please see our fees policy.
What can I do on completion of my course?
On completion of this course you may wish to progress to the European Computer Driving Licence (ECDL), or ECDL Start if you prefer something a little shorter.
Is there more information available online?
You can use the above QR code to connect directly to the course details.